D-dimer cannot be found normally in the bloodstream; it only appears when a blood clot breaks down. D-dimer is a fibrin degradation product, a small protein that is present in the blood after generated by a blood clot through fibrinolysis. If D-dimer is found in the body it means the patient has a higher risk of having unsafe blood clots. If the patient has higher levels of D-dimer in the blood it could also mean that the body is in a recovery process after surgery.
D-dimer proteines are produced in fission of fibrin which has a vital function in blood coagulation. Patients with high D-dimer levels may have a pulmonary embolism (PE), Venous Thrombosis (DVT), Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) or trauma. During pregnancy, the higher D-dimer levels could be a sign of a possible complication.
Interested in more Products?
For more test kits, you can also check the following related products:
- Excellent precision;
- More certainty of ruling out healthy patients;
- More time to spend on patients who are, in fact, ill.
Ensure the test cassette, buffer solution and the patient’s specimen material are brought up to room temperature (between 20 and 30°C) before testing. This is important to prevent moisture deposition on the membrane.
Remove the test cassette from the protective bag, and label the test cassette with a patient number. Continue by firstly administering 2 drops of blood (capillary, EDTA or citrated blood) or 1 drop of plasma (by using the pipette supplied with the test kit) into the specimen openings. Secondly, let it soak in, and then add 1 drop of buffer solution. Ensure that no solution is sprayed into the reaction area.
In the unfortunate event that the test won’t visibly start after 10 seconds, add a further drop of a buffer.
Start timer then read off the findings exactly 10 minutes after adding the specimen. Do not, under any circumstances, read off the findings after 15 minutes.
- Only suitable for in vitro diagnostic use by qualified medical practitioners;
- Do not use the kit beyond the expiration date printed on the outside of the box;
- Carefully follow the instructions and procedures described in this insert;
- Do not use the product if the film bag shows signs of damage because the test is sensitive to moisture;
- Keep the test device in the sealed pouch until ready for immediate use. Discard after single use.