- Variety of materials, each one catering to the different needs of the procedure, the patient, and the wearer;
- Relatively inexpensive, safe to use;
- Elastic earloop, head elastic and tie-on are all convenient for putting on and removal;
- Protects the patient from contracting infections due to inhalation of droplets emitted from the medical professional that may potentially be infectious;
- Medical masks are available in multiple thicknesses, materials and closures, and should be selected accordingly based on requirements of the procedure and personal preference;
- Relatively inexpensive;
- Medical masks are water resistant and sturdy.
Correct positioning of the mask must be ensured, as masks that are not positioned correctly may compromise there protective traits or hinder the comfort of the wearer whilst under extreme pressure, characteristic of a surgery.
It is important that the correct mask material is chosen, for example selecting the activated carbon mask in a high risk environment for example one that is fume/chemical heavy. Failure to do so may result in harm to the patient or medical professional.
Medical masks are positioned over the nose and mouth, and depending on the type of closure, are then fastened and secured into place. It is vital that the correct fit and comfort is attained. Slight adjustments may be necessary in order to achieve this. The wearer is ready for surgical operation.
It is imperative that the medical mask is not used if the packaging or seal is compromised. Evidence of this may suggest tampering or contamination. If one should come across masks inside comprised packaging, the correct course of action is to dispose of it quickly and safely.
- Must prepare the mask for use in a clean, sterile environment, absent of bodily fluids or other sources of contamination;
- Promptly and safely dispose of any masks that have touched a potentially contaminated surface;
- Correct material must be selected according to procedure – high risk procedures require a mask material that offers superior protection, for example the folded medical mask;
- Ensure mask is securely and correctly positioned over the nose and mouth. Poorly fitted masks may compromise their protective abilities.
Medical masks are manufactured using a variety of materials. The materials used in the range offered by AdvaCare are polypropylene, multi-layer, carbon, filter paper and masks that are valve-fitted.