- Cotton balls are easy to use and require little instruction or training;
- Cotton balls clean wounds and assist in accelerating the healing process;
- Cotton balls can remove foreign agents from a wound, decreasing the risk of infection;
- Different sizes ensure that the cotton balls fulfill the requirements to treat wounds of different sizes and severity.
Before use, thoroughly wash hands and ensure there is no contaminated material present which may infect the cotton ball and hence transfer it into the wound.
In terms of medical use, transfer a small volume of disinfectant or antiseptic solution onto the cotton ball, ready for application. Just prior to skin contact with the cotton ball, carefully clean the area to remove any dirt or debris, and then dry with a cloth or microfiber towel. Once complete, gently rub the area with the cotton ball, increasing pressure if cleansing a wound of foreign material. If the wound is exposed or prone to bleeding, cover and secure the wound with a bandage, also produced by AdvaCare.
It is imperative that cotton balls are not used if the packaging or seal is compromised. Evidence of this may suggest tampering or loss of sterility. If one should come across cotton balls inside compromised packaging, the correct course of action is to dispose of it quickly and safely.
- Do not re-use cotton balls that have been used before. The cotton ball should be discarded after use. Reuse of cotton balls can transfer bacteria between surfaces and promote infection.
- If the cotton ball becomes soaked with blood or other bodily fluids, a new one should be used and the old one discarded.
- Must prepare the cotton balls for use in a clean, sterile environment, absent of bodily fluids or other sources of contamination;
- Promptly and safely dispose of any cotton balls that have touched a potentially contaminated surface;
If the cotton ball has blood or any other bodily matter on it, it should be handled as biohazard waste and disposed of correctly to prevent the spread of infection.
As the name suggests, cotton balls are made from 100% cotton. They are completely safe on the skin, even for sensitive skin types.